When Charles and Ray Eames designed the Eames Aluminum Management Chair and Side Chair (1958), they created a revolution in seating that has lost none of its edge. These chairs were originally developed as a special project for a private residence being designed by Eero Saarinen and Alexander Girard. Moving away from the Eameses' shell forms of the 1940s and exploring newly affordable aluminum, the designers constructed a lightweight, corrosion-resistant and die-cast frame. They wrapped the frame in a sling - a "sitting pocket" that subtly conforms to the body's shape - and gave it a wide seat for leisurely sitting. Set on a five-point base, these chairs sit on tubular steel columns and swivel for easy entry and exit.
Five-star polished die-cast aluminum base and frame with tubular steel column; vinyl upholstery.